Dental exams and cleanings are routine preventive measures for maintaining good oral health. A dentist or dental hygienist typically performs these preventive measures in a dental clinic, involving several components. Dental exams & cleanings in Yuba City aim to assess the initial condition of your teeth and gums, detect potential issues, and provide professional cleaning to improve oral hygiene.
What To Expect During Routine Dental Exams And Cleaning?
Dental exams & cleanings in Yuba City are treatment protocols that benefit children and adults. They feature various components to benefit your overall oral health. Here’s a breakdown of dental exams and cleanings:
- Oral Health Assessment: The dentist reviews your dental and medical history and inquires about any medications you take to evaluate how they affect your oral health.
- Visual Examination: The dentist inspects your mouth for signs of disease like decay, oral cancer, or gum disease. They may use a dental mirror and a bright light to get a better view.
- Dental X-Rays: Digital tests evaluate the condition of the deeper tissues and teeth, roots, and jawbone layers. X-rays identify problems such as impacted teeth, bone loss, and abnormalities that may not be visible during a visual examination.
- Additional Diagnostic Tests: Additional diagnostic tests, such as a periodontal (gum) examination, oral cancer screening, or other specialized tests, are only necessary based on your specific needs.
- Plaque and Tartar Removal: Pediatric Dentists in Yuba City use special instruments to eliminate plaque and tartar from your teeth and along the gum line in a process called scaling.
- Root Planing: Dentists clean, polish, and smoothen tooth roots below the gum line to overcome gum disease symptoms like receding gums, swelling, bad breath, and bleeding. They use a gritty toothpaste-like substance, rotating brush, or rubber cup to polish teeth after scaling.
- Flossing and Rinsing: Dental experts floss between your teeth to remove remaining debris or plaque. They may also provide fluoride treatment and an antimicrobial mouthwash for added protection against tooth decay and gum disease.
- Oral Hygiene Education: The dental team will offer guidance on proper brushing and flossing methods and recommend oral care products tailored to your needs. They may also bring up diet and lifestyle habits that impact oral health.
Why Is A Regular Dental Exam And Cleaning Essential To Your Oral Health?
General and pediatric dentists near you usually recommend dental exams, and cleanings are every six months. However, the frequency of these procedures varies among patients based on the initial oral health status and risk factors. While few people may appreciate routine dental exams and cleanings at Feather River Kids Dentistry, they are significant treatment protocols for achieving good oral health. Some evidence for that includes:
- Early detection of oral diseases – during the exams, dentists identify early signs of oral complications like tooth decay and gum disease, and even some systemic diseases, allowing for prompt intervention and treatment.
- Prevention of dental problems – when you allow your dentist to intervene in your dental health early, you can prevent further damage and more extensive dental procedures.
- Removal of plaque and tartar – even with diligent oral hygiene practices at home, plaque and tartar can build up in hard-to-reach areas, causing tooth decay and gum disease. Professional dental cleanings remove plaque and tartar, reducing the risk of cavities and gum inflammation.
- Fighting periodontal disease – is a common condition that leads to gum recession, tooth loss, and even systemic health complications when bacteria travel to vital body organs. Regular cleanings remove plaque and tartar buildup, major contributors to gum disease.
- Oral health education – routine dental visits allow patients to learn proper brushing and flossing techniques, identify the best oral care products, and master tips for maintaining good oral hygiene at home.
- Monitoring oral changes – dental exams allow dentists to monitor changes in your mouth over time to track the condition of your teeth, gums, and oral tissues. This way, a dentist identifies patterns, detect potential issues, and implements timely interventions.
How Dental Exams and Cleanings Can Help Identify Oral Health Issues
The various tests entailed in regular dental exams and cleanings often translate to identifying health problems early. Dentists can do so since they can detect anomalies that are inconsistent with previous evaluations, including:
- Bleeding gums
- Darkening teeth
- Sensitive and weak teeth
- Swollen and reddened gums
- Receding gums
- Plaque and tartar buildup